From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.
In 1899 a few Presbyterians were encouraged to by a lot for a church. H. S. Cunningham, J.H. Ligon and Mrs. W.C. Edwards, et al, bought the lot on April 24th for $40. It was conveyed to trustees of S.C. Presbytery.
On September 4 1900, The Saluda Presbyterian Church was organized and services were held in various churches in Saluda until 1914 when Mrs. W.C. Edwards and her son, Josh, were the only remaining Presbyterians. On May 11, 1941, Dr. Hugh Murchison of Columbia preached to a group who decided to affiliate with the Presbyterian Church. They were organized that afternoon at Mt. Pleasant Lutheran Church, with Dr. G.G. Mays or Winnsboro in charge. Fifty enrolled as charter members of the Saluda Presbyterian Church.
On September 21, 1941 Reverand E.P. Moye preached the first sermon as pastor at the High School Auditorium. On the morning of October 22, 1941, about 20 people met on the lot for a Sunrise Service conducted by Mr. Moye, and immediately work on the church building was begun.
On September 20, 1942, morning and afternoon services were held in the new sanctuary. Rev. Moye baptized Ben W. Crouch III as the first baby to be baptized and Mrs. V.M. Edwards Sr received from a Baptist church in Williamston S.C. was the first member added on profession of faith.
On November 9, 1943, the Dedication sermon was preached by Rev. Bob S. Hodges, Jr. A LArge congregation was present with many from other towns.
In 1956 the congregation decided to have a full time minister. Previously Saluda and Batesburg-Leesville churches had been yoked. A lot on South Jefferson Street was donated for a manse. Rev & Mrs J.F. Craig Jr. and family moved into the new manse on May 14, 1957.
On March 19, 1966, an educational building was begun. On October 2, 1966 the Reverand E.C. Black Jr. became the pastor. The educational building was first used on December 11, 1966. A service to re-dedicate the sanctuary and to dedicate the educational building was on November 21, 1968.
In 1979 the stained glass window located behind the pulpit area was installed. It includes the Christ Child, Mary and Joseph and symbols of the Presbyterian Church. In later years stained glass windows in the Sanctuary depicting a chronological record of the Life of Jesus were installed. Windows in the vestibule feature miracles and the teachings of Jesus.
The organ was dedicated in May 1994 to the Glory of God and in Honor and Memory of the Churches Charter Members. It is an Allen MDS-26 and has many features and extreme versatility.
In addition to former ministers already mentioned in this brief history, Rev. Kenneth Hamilton, Rev. Marshall Neil III, Rev Ben Bass, Rev. Frank Neal, Rev Eugene Bach, Dr. Kenneth Forman, Rev. Judith Bowling, Dr. Robert E. Smith, Rev. Bill Tarbell, and Rev. John Bacot served our church.
We are thankful for the dedicated and consecrated pastors who have guided us through these seventy years. At the close of these very rewarding years in the Service of our Lord, we are grateful for God's guidance and for His rich blessings and we look forward to the future, rededicating ourselves in His service.
In 2014, Pastor Jana Creighton is our newest leader in God's Word. We are embracing her enthusiasm and creativity and looking forward to the ways Saluda Presbyterian will learn and grow in God's path. Come be a part of God's glory!
Wired Word Sunday School Hour